Case Study – WellAware Dashboard

Case Study 1
WellAware Dashboard

The Problem
The client had an existing product that shows sensor package information to nursing professionals and resident care administrators.  They wanted to use the existing sensor data but display it in a Web dashboard for non technical family members.  It needed to be easy to use but still able to present very complex data in a useful manner.

Role
UX Lead

Format
Lean UX in an Agile environment.  The design needed to be responsive.

Process
I began by researching the existing dashboard service and creating a baseline for future testing as well as to get a feel for the pain points in the existing application.

Baseline test with Silverback

The next step was to work with the stakeholders to determine what exactly they wanted the new dashboard to show/do.  Requirements gathering included both business and user requirements for the system, research on similar products, and  establishing UX goals.

Brainstorming requirements

Once the requirements were agreed upon, I began working on creating personas and user stories for the service.

Persona1

We identified five primary personas for the service.  The personas were broken out based on a single sensor deployment.

Personas 2

We then began brainstorming the layout of the dashboard, the screen flows, and the best way to show information.

photo (3)Flow

276be9fe4fbd40f15e3a22b4d2b51851

Using Balsamiq I created rapid wireframes to validate against our personas and users.

2e40b7b6a00d4f63d52e19ec0b4c1c98

c598e21ce0fc8eadc08dce9fd850d816

wireframe

We ran several user studies as we created new iterations of the dashboard.  Although the initial studies were on very low resolution mockups, later studies were done with high resolution versions, coded by the development team offshore in Romania.

mobilesample4