An accomplished hands-on professional with leadership experience involving both creative and technical arenas. Reputation for innovation, creative problem solving, and a style that provides leadership by example. Focused on user-centered design used to translate business and functional requirements into navigational flows, interaction models, wireframes and page layouts that clearly and elegantly communicate a sensible user experience that creates a user friendly product.
Advanced understanding in the field principles of human-computer interaction, user interface design, usability and information architecture. “Mobile-first” and responsive design proponent.
Senior UX/UI Designer, Parasoft 2015-2016
- Created wireframes, comps, and prototypes for Web applications, both desktop and mobile.
- Led the UX portion of the redesign of the Parasoft suite of products.
Senior UX Architect, Guitar Center 2014-2015
- Created wireframes for the Guitar Center Web properties.
- Enforced UX design standards across the company.
Senior UX Consultant, Red Shirt Media 2008 – 2014
- Served in various UX roles depending on client needs, including UX Researcher (ADP), UX Designer (WellAware Systems), Analyst (Capital One), Project Lead (COMSYS) and Director of Experience (KIST Group LLC).
- Fast deadlines for clients ranging from small start-ups to Fortune 500 using both Agile and Waterfall processes.
- Lean UX and traditional UX practices.
- Mobile applications, websites, and e-commerce sites.
Web Manager, VHDA 2007-2008
- Managed the VHDA public and private Web properties, as well as a Web Team of 5 people.
- Served as SME for the companies Web Modernization Program, a redesign effort across business units and departments.
Director of Web Design, NIC Inc 1998-2005
- Started as Webmaster and worked up to Director.
- Created the first state UX Lab.
- Wrote the Commonwealth of Virginia Web Policy and UX Standards.
- Part of the company that created the e-government movement.
Education and Awards
Virginia Commonwealth University 1991
BS in Psychology with a focus on Social Psychology and Human Factors.
ITIL Foundations Course – 2012
Ektron Developer – 2006
Meeting Facilitation – 2008
Project Management Fundamentals – 2006
Designing Accessible Websites – 2008, 2012
Section 508 Coordinators – 2008, 2012
2014 London UXPA Conference, UX Reviewer
Best of the Web, 2001, 2002, 2005
EGov Pioneer Award 2002
UXPA-User Experience Professionals Association
Civic 50 Award 2002
International Screenwriter’s Association
International Academy of Web Television (IAWTV)
Letter from Governor Warner
Letter from First Lady Gilmore of Virginia
Government Technology Magazine Contributing Writer
Digital States Survey winner
Articles for Faulkner Communications
Contributing Writer for Style Weekly
|Adobe Creative Suite
Accessibility (ADA, Section 508, W3C, WAI)
MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Browsers (IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, JAWS, IBM HPR)
Responsive Web Design
Prototyping and Wireframing
Multivariate and A/B Testing
Use Cases and Personas
Adobe After Effects