It’s been suggested to me that I break my portfolio into multiple sites so viewers don’t get overwhelmed by the variety. So here ya go:
An accomplished hands-on professional with leadership experience involving both creative and technical arenas. Reputation for innovation, creative problem solving, and a style that provides leadership by example. Focused on user-centered design used to translate business and functional requirements into navigational flows, interaction models, wireframes and page layouts that clearly and elegantly communicate a sensible user experience that creates a user friendly product.
Advanced understanding in the field principles of human-computer interaction, user interface design, usability and information architecture. “Mobile-first” and responsive design proponent.
Senior UX/UI Designer, Parasoft 2015-2016
- Created wireframes, comps, and prototypes for Web applications, both desktop and mobile.
- Led the UX portion of the redesign of the Parasoft suite of products.
Senior UX Architect, Guitar Center 2014-2015
- Created wireframes for the Guitar Center Web properties.
- Enforced UX design standards across the company.
Senior UX Consultant, Red Shirt Media 2008 – 2014
- Served in various UX roles depending on client needs, including UX Researcher (ADP), UX Designer (WellAware Systems), Analyst (Capital One), Project Lead (COMSYS) and Director of Experience (KIST Group LLC).
- Fast deadlines for clients ranging from small start-ups to Fortune 500 using both Agile and Waterfall processes.
- Lean UX and traditional UX practices.
- Mobile applications, websites, and e-commerce sites.
Web Manager, VHDA 2007-2008
- Managed the VHDA public and private Web properties, as well as a Web Team of 5 people.
- Served as SME for the companies Web Modernization Program, a redesign effort across business units and departments.
Director of Web Design, NIC Inc 1998-2005
- Started as Webmaster and worked up to Director.
- Created the first state UX Lab.
- Wrote the Commonwealth of Virginia Web Policy and UX Standards.
- Part of the company that created the e-government movement.
Education and Awards
Virginia Commonwealth University 1991
BS in Psychology with a focus on Social Psychology and Human Factors.
ITIL Foundations Course – 2012
Ektron Developer – 2006
Meeting Facilitation – 2008
Project Management Fundamentals – 2006
Designing Accessible Websites – 2008, 2012
Section 508 Coordinators – 2008, 2012
2014 London UXPA Conference, UX Reviewer
Best of the Web, 2001, 2002, 2005
EGov Pioneer Award 2002
UXPA-User Experience Professionals Association
Civic 50 Award 2002
International Screenwriter’s Association
International Academy of Web Television (IAWTV)
Letter from Governor Warner
Letter from First Lady Gilmore of Virginia
Government Technology Magazine Contributing Writer
Digital States Survey winner
Articles for Faulkner Communications
Contributing Writer for Style Weekly
|Adobe Creative Suite
Accessibility (ADA, Section 508, W3C, WAI)
MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Browsers (IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, JAWS, IBM HPR)
Responsive Web Design
Prototyping and Wireframing
Multivariate and A/B Testing
Use Cases and Personas
Adobe After Effects
Over the years I’ve taken part in or led numerous UX projects in both private and public markets. Although many are covered by Nondisclosure Agreements (NDAs), I have been adding case studies of projects where the client has either given permission, or the deliverables have been “scrubbed” of identifying marks.
This page is a work in progress.
Password Protected Wires (contact me for the credentials)
I’m an expert on Survivalist Web Design © 2017. But my Best Case process is illustrated below.
Big Winners, Big Losers, and Jerry Fondue – 1986
Throwaway (Beyond magazine) – 1991
The Kwisin and the Malmyong (Neophyte magazine) – 1992
More Dark Than Night (Intertext magazine)- 1994
With Thoughts of Sarah (Intertext magazine)- 1994
No Place for Dinosaurs – 1995
Bogeymen – 1995
The Golden Age – 2010
Leave It To Butthead (Style Weekly)- 1996
Who Died and Left Them Important? (Style Weekly)- 1996
Technophiles in the Dark (Style Weekly)- 1996
Waging War: The Military and Children (The Virginia-Pilot, Style Weekly)- 1997
Making Cents (Government Technology Magazine)- 2002
Argument for Standards (Government Technology Magazine)- 2004
The Art of War in IT – 2005
The Marketing of our Children (Style Weekly)- 2007
A People Problem (Style Weekly) – 2004
Technical Articles for Faulkner Communications 2006 – 2012
Content Delivery Methods – 2010
Editor for Nuclear Ronin magazine
Books and Collections
The Cosmic Kahuna Collection – 2000
But I Regress – 2007
Unpleasant Futures 2008
The Adventures of Super Towel! Episode 1 – The Great Bedtime Battle
Voodoo Code 2010
The Golden Age Serialized Novel 2013-2014
To Cape or Not to Cape – 2007
Because I’m Your Father, That’s Why! – 2010 – 2012
The Sour Grapes of Wrath 2013-2014
Over the years, either as part of my UX work or as a Design Manager, I have acted as a Product Manager or Digital Producer. Below are some examples of the products I have been responsible for or content I have created.
Commonwealth of Virginia Web Portal
Product Manager, Digital Producer
Content Creation/Digital Producer
Virginia Live Help